Monday, May 12, 2014

Everything But the Blues

Just a boring blog post about my weekend. The sort of thing that interests no one but myself. Here goes:

On Friday night, I journeyed out to Essendon to catch up with my friend Tim (the hugely talented artist - check out his website!). We get together on a regular basis and watch old movies together. On the way over, I was once again appalled by human behaviour when waiting at Southern Cross Station, the train arrived and, instead of letting people out of the carriage, the moronic plebs on the platform forced their way on first. Why are people so incredibly rude? Maybe I summed it up with "moronic plebs" before. I know I said something vicious under my breath, but as I was listening to some Mark Snow composition on my iPod, I imagine it may have come out louder than I intended. I don’t care. They need to know how rude they are.

Anyway… I arrived at Tim’s safely and we had fish and chips (hooray!) The film we watched this time was teh Bob Hope vehicle Caught in the Draft, a very entertaining film with lots of class act comedy moments. He really was a genius. I have also introduced Tim to the marvels of Murder Most Horrid which he has fallen in love with (obviously) so we watched a few episodes of that. We are trying to get through it all before he moves away (insert sad face). After a very busy day and an early start, by evening I was incredibly exhausted and upon returning home crashed out on my bed and fell asleep.

The Saturday was a quiet one. I had to go to the local supermarket (far more accessible than the one in Bulawayo) and came home despondent at the exorbitant prices of groceries these days. As I have stated before, I am struggling to pay off debts at the moment and these ridiculous price-hikes are beyond the pale.

I spent the rest of the day reading and doing laundry. N.B. use white vinegar instead of fabric softener. Vastly cheaper and SO much better at getting rid of stains.

I finished a book called Demons which annoyed the hell out of me due to lack of proper punctuation and speech marks, and then I began reading The Fault in Our Stars (finally) and I am pleased to say that the book lives up to the hype (which is rare in this day and age where hype rarely relates to talent). I actually finished the book during my lunch-break today at work. Great stuff. I will be seeing the film on Wednesday!

In the evening, I had some leftovers of the beef chilli I made earlier in the week and I would learn from that mistake 24 hours later! I also watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine for the first time, having borrowed it from my friends Louise and Adam. It was much more enjoyable than I expected it to be; mainly because Hugh Jackman is just such an entertaining actor to watch.

(And he's ridiculously attractive!)

I had a reasonably early night and felt to sleep quickly.

Sunday morning, I was awake around 4:30 (again). I just have trouble sleeping in, I don’t know why. It may be because my brain is just so over-active. Deeply annoying. Anyway, I read for a bit and then did some blogging. Around ten o’clock, I ventured out to meet my friends Sarah and Dan. We headed out to Reservoir and then walked for about 45 minutes to Heidelberg to attend the Austrian Club Melbourne. The atmosphere was lovely and the food delicious. I had a stuffed chicken breast wrapped in bacon and cheese alongside spƤtzle and some cauliflower cheese (an old favourite of mine).

We followed our mains with apple strudel. Dan and Sarah paid for my lunch because they know how much I am struggling with cash at the moment. I have very good friends!

(I might add that my friend Dan is also a very talented chap. Check out his Funeral Stories and just some of his art here.)

The walk back to the train station at Reservoir was a little longer because we were all stuffed with yummy food, but it was a pleasant afternoon (a little overcast, but I like it that way) and with fantastic company. I did ponder if my dress-sense looked a little ostentatious out in the suburbs. I often think people might see my get-up and think "Ooh, Doctor Who's coat, John Steed's umbrella, Roseanne Barr's thighs!" but they probably don't.

I didn’t head straight home as I had another appointment with another friend. Chris is a work colleague who is also a major talent. He used to work at Warner Brothers and he is also a superb artist (he showed me some of his work). I was then deeply impressed by his culinary skills. He cooked salmon steaks with roast vegetables and a maple syrup sauce. It was magnificent. We watched some Suits (which I had never seen before, but enjoyed despite the plethora of implausibly beautiful people populating the cast) and we finished off the evening with Resident Evil starring the beautiful Milla Jovovich, the rugged James Purefoy and the pretty Eric Mabius, amongst others

However, remember the beef consumption earlier in the weekend? Well, it came back to haunt me and, just before the movie started, I had a bit of an episode in the toilet (you are so pleased that I have shared this, I am sure!) and I didn’t feel particularly grand for the rest of the night. Still, great company, food and entertainment to round off a pleasant weekend.

The only sad thing from the weekend is that more of my stuff has sold on eBay. I know this should be a good thing, but it’s hard letting my babies (DVDs) go… but… I have to eat!!

All in all, a good weekend. No major moments of depression (thankfully) and lots of fun with good friends. I had everything but the blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment