Friday, March 13, 2015

Nobody's Perfect

So, when did I become such a miserable old bastard? As I approach 40, it occurs to me (and others) that I have become surly, selfish, self-absorbed and down right miserable. How did this happen? I certainly don't get it from my parents. Both are equally upbeat and positive about the world and its people. Certainly not from my brother who may, indeed, suffer the ignominy of the masses, but he does it with joviality and irony.

As a child, I was bright, spirited, eager-to-please and what one might call 'chipper'. My mother always said that I was "great with people"!

Oh, but times have changed.

Now I find people to be rude, ignorant, inconsiderate and the bane of my existence. I have turned into a grumpy old man 30 years too soon. I am a curmudgeon; a miser; a borderline hermit; a critical, self-righteous arsehole... I'm the depressingly unfunny version of Alan Partridge.

Maybe it's because I have lived alone for too long. Maybe it's because the social injustices of life make me bitter and angry. Maybe it's because I miss the simplicity of the halcyon days pre-iPhone.

A less angry Ben makes a happier Ben. Ah yes, I used to be happy...

I need to change. I need to get a new perspective on life. I need to regain my faith in humanity.

Or maybe I just need to get laid.

Who can say?

Where is Ryan Kwanten when you need him?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think criticising yourself for how miserable you think you are will make you feel happy. A shag might - for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I have always been rather self-critical. Id be happy with any sort of affection at the moment.

      Delete