Friday, September 30, 2011

All I Say, All I Do

Babs: Coffee, or are you still on your diet?
Berta: Oh, diet be blowed! ha ha.


Day 30 of my 100-day countdown!

Golly gosh and goodness gracious etc... it is bloomin' hard to maintain a diet regime - especially when one has a busy social life and a penchant for baking delicious treats!

As I type this, I am munching on a chocolate cake, which means the keyboard is getting a tad sticky too.

Dieting is hard and the scales this week have been all over the shop! Last weekend, I was so thrilled to be weighing in at a mere 76kg, but during the week I have dickered back and forth between that and 79kg!

Dolly: (on scales) I was panicking then - it was just hovering over the seven - but luckily I paid a visit and it dickered back down to the six.

How does one manage to put on three kilos in such a short space of time?
Yeah, yeah, so I made this cake, but there's still more than half of it left, so let's not place the blame there.

Although my alcohol intake has been minimal, there have been one or two lapses when dining with friends* - I have tried to curb my alcoholic antics thanks to a rather embarrassing moment two weeks ago when I was admonished for a flippant remark during a rather giddy late-night soiree.

Note to self: This is why I gave up alcohol for twenty-nine months recently... my brain and mouth are like distant cousins when lubricated with a bevy of wines and spirits. All I say and all I do are two completely different things sometimes.

Being the person I am, I have been beating myself up (mentally, that is; physically would be very odd indeed) over this mistake ever since - but this is nothing new. I still wear the burden of every moment in my past where I have hurt someone through caustic wit or an ill-advised barb.
As somebody pointed out to me earlier this year, it is likely that in the majority of these events, I am the only person who probably remembers anyway!

Anyway... I digress into the troubles of my own psyche again. Sorry. Back to the main theme:

I have had pizza twice this week, so that can't be good. One was at the end of my three-day weekend and I needed to treat myself. The second was on Wednesday night when I was returning from visiting a friend in hospital. I was feeling a bit flat (for obvious reasons) and it was pissing it down with rain, so I needed comfort food.

This could be one of the causes.

Ah, who can say? Maybe it's the lack of exercise or the combination of it all... suffice to say, I have to be more astringent with what I eat and how frequently.

BUT SOME FOOD TASTES SOOOO GOOD!
I must stop having delicious desserts. sigh

Woman: Could we get by please; we're not having a sweet.

Enid: Very wise, with those hips.



*Thank you Brett & Eric for each of these occasions - superb food, delicious wine, witty banter and perfect company!

No comments:

Post a Comment