Monday, May 17, 2010

Designer Life

One of the things I hate about being gay is the myriad expectations that come along with it.

Just because I like some musicals, does not automatically make me gay – just as how the fact that I love the 'Die Hard' films does not make me straight.
I don’t like all musicals. In fact I genuinely despise some, including 'Rent', 'Grease' and anything with Zac Efron in it. 'West Side Story' doesn’t stir my loins either, despite being directed by the superb Robert Wise. Sure, I love 'Little Shop of Horrors', 'Sweet Charity' and 'Bugsy Malone', but that’s not an entire genre.

I hate drag queens. I think the majority of them are talentless hacks (or hags?) and also slightly offensive – are these grossly exaggerated performances an insult to the female gender? If you must insist on the whole female-impersonation malarkey, at least have the decency to sing rather than mime – and please, I beg you, stop with the Shirley Bassey. Anyone would think the gay community were trapped in a time warp bubble.

I don’t own any Kylie Minogue or Abba albums. Sure, I have some Madonna, but I also have albums by The Commitments and The Kinks. Don’t tell me Andrew Strong is a gay icon.

I hate clubbing.

I am not promiscuous.

I do not own a leather harness.

I do not mince.

I do not attend Pride marches.

I don’t have a lisp.

I don’t have anything with a rainbow flag on it.

I don’t own a West Highland Terrier named Judy.

My jokes aren’t solely based around innuendo.

These clichés are not merely stereotypes. It seems some gay men feel the need to adhere to this strict code of application. Since when is it compulsory to lack individuality? Granted, the whole horrifying nature of ‘coming out’ in a still-homophobic world is cause to seek something accepting and comfortable. The gay community (for want of a much better and more appropriate phrase) is abundant with people who have been through excruciating times and are more than willing to aid and assist those who are spinning out of control due to apprehension and fear. I expect this is why these young men begin to adorn these attributes, just so that they can feel a part of something bigger. I feel I can say this because I was one of those young men and I too had mentors who helped guide me through those heart-achingly distressing times. However, I resisted a lot of the more flamboyant accessories – although I did attempt to try them for a period… (picture me singing 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' in a cafe full of fags)

Unfortunately, because of my lack of ‘gayness’, I have had some queens say I should have my gay card revoked. (I think mine just got lost in the post.)
I have come to realise that, ironically, some gay men are also the most bigoted; especially those who deny that bisexuals exist or hurl abuse at lesbians.

Simply, I am gay because I prefer the company of men in the bedroom. And I mean ‘men’, not effeminate, skinny, mincing ladyboys with fluttering eyelids and a penchant for squealing “Ooooh!” every time the word ‘big’ is mentioned.

Sure, people should be allowed to be whoever they want to be. This is a basic freedom – as long as you’re not hurting anybody else. Just don’t expect me to fall into the same category just because I like cock.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ben....I love your blogs, they are brilliant.

    More importantly i think you're right about this whole heartedly (though perhaps I should urge you to watch West Side Story again - its my favourite - that and the royal wedding)

    Anyway, as a new blogger myself i thought it important to give you my take on this.

    When I came out (which you'll remember was when I first met you!) I dabbled with all sorts of identities to try and figure out who I was. Whats key to that sentence is 'who'? isnt it?...I tried butching it up but was too small for those ridiculous shirts, I tried being more girly but that wasn't right either. and so it went on with various shades of grey to figure out what on earth this gayness meant from a social perspective....
    maybe thats the thing...I believe we are born gay, or rather we are born as we are..we are born straight, gay...intersex blah blah blah...
    how we choose to present ourselves is up to us - my journey in my 20's was menswear vs womens wear.
    im now 30.
    im wearing what i wore and listening to what i listened to and im being who i was and being more like me everyday.
    lots of lesbians don't particularly understand where im coming from (or they just think im a dick...thats possible, and fair enough).


    i dont have a trophy girlfriend

    i dont have mens clothes in my wardrobe

    i dont own high heels

    i dont have big gay dramas in my life

    i dont feel welcome on the scene

    i dont have many gay friends ( but i do have VERY camp straight friends)

    Like you say...people should present themselves however they like. I just found all the girls i ever got involved with to be INSANE and that perhaps i dont fit in because the only thing I have in common with the scene is the word 'gay'...

    there you are then,....

    xx

    ReplyDelete